Solution6 Learning/Pollak6 (Sydney, Australia)
Solution6 Learning (or Pollak6) provides training to corporate customers for a range of areas in the IT world. I was contracted by them to provide training in Red Hat Linux to a group of help desk analysts from a world wide recognised provider of computing systems (Dell). These students were studying for the Red Hat Certified Engineer exam. I prepared a pair of courses based on Red Hat Linux Version 8.0. The first course was an introduction to GNU/Linux and how to manage a GNU/Linux workstation. This was given over four days. The second course expanded on the first and trained in the area of managing a GNU/Linux server. This was a five-day course. There was a final day of training given as a follow-up day to provide last minute tips for the exam. (See below for a summary of the course topics.)
- Develop course from the provided courseware.
- Assist in the preparation of the course systems and environment.
- Provide training over a period of 10 days.
- Provided the training.
- Responded well to minor and major hitches at the start of the course.
- GNU/Linux (Red Hat Version 7.2, 8.0; kernel version 2.4.18, 2.5.58)
- The Workstation management course covered: the history of GNU/Linux and open source software; installing GNU/Linux; configuring a GNU/Linux workstation; using GNU/Linux facilities like e-mail, users and groups, the GNU/Linux environment; managing installed software; using the graphical user interface (X Windows).
- The Server Management course covered: Installing GNU/Linux for use as a server; the Linux kernel; client/server features; cross platform integration; system security; e-mail; web services; DNS; DHCP; troubleshooting GNU/Linux.